Check out our urinalysis pictures. We discussed microscopic, macroscopic and chemical analysis. Each pair of students read six case studies and selected four patients to test. They completed a urinalysis and attempted a diagnosis for each patient. As a class, we discussed the results and shared our thoughts on each diagnosis. Teams of three then worked together to create a brief presentation about one of the diseases. The afternoon class had some very thoughtful and quality presentations.
So the last several weeks of the semester were hectic. Holiday events, finals for the students at their home high schools, the End of Course Assessment for PBS, crunch time for PBS -- and then we throw in an assortment of snow days. My students completed an infectious disease unit and a final project during this time. The final project was actually the result of one of my grad classes. Each student collaborated with a student from the other class (AM and PM) to create a study tool for their assigned lesson. Some of the tools were really good. I wish I could share them here, but the materials are copyrighted through PLTW. We also wrapped with our Anna case and figured out her cause of death. The EOC seemed to go well. We will not find out the official scores until February. I have a few pictures of our last days in PBS. Enjoy!
Students learned that Poor Anna also had a recent bacterial infection. Our lab work this week will seek to identify the unknown bacteria.Today we learned about aseptic technique and began the isolating bacteria lab. Students completed a bacterial transfer from broth and learned how to streak plates. We used a great simulation to practice virtually before doing the real thing. In total, we have four different bacteria samples incubating tonight. Three known and our one unknown from Anna. I'm hoping we see enough growth that we can completed the gross examination of the bacteria tomorrow.
On another note, we had a guest speaker today that shared information about part time (and some full time) summer jobs. Many of my students expressed interest and took applications, so I am hoping to see completed applications soon.
Today we started Unit 5 - Infectious Disease with an activity about tracing a disease back to patient zero. It was a nice, quick lab to get everyone up and moving around. The students enjoyed the lab and were able to trace their results back to the original person (or pair) without much of an issue. Everyone had a cup of water except one individual who had a weak base (which looks like water). They went around the room sharing their fluids and recording the person they worked with. Our AM class did the lab as written and we discovered that there was too much "sharing" of bodily fluids going on since the entire class got the "disease." So, we repeated the lab with one less swap and had great results. We used a chemical indicator to show which individuals were "sick" and who was "healthy." Great start to the last major unit!