Check out our urinalysis pictures. We discussed microscopic, macroscopic and chemical analysis. Each pair of students read six case studies and selected four patients to test. They completed a urinalysis and attempted a diagnosis for each patient. As a class, we discussed the results and shared our thoughts on each diagnosis. Teams of three then worked together to create a brief presentation about one of the diseases. The afternoon class had some very thoughtful and quality presentations.
This is the first prepared, formal presentation for my students. This year we completed activities on public speaking, presentations and visual development prior to giving the presentations and I can say that it made a huge difference in the quality! Each student group had the task of coming up with an innovation that would make the life of a diabetic easier. Some projects focused on improving existing insulin pumps while others embraced technology by suggesting great new apps for Smart Phones. One group even presented an idea that involved incorporating insulin into the food being digested. Overall, I was excited to see their enthusiasm and creativity
My students are awesome! I was out with a sick kid, so I left my students with a task and a couple of "blank" bodies. They were to research various diabetes complications and creatively represent each complication on their class body. I was very happy the results.
One of my AM students brought in her glucose monitor. She did a great job explaining each step and providing insight into diabetes by demonstrating how to check your blood sugar.
Throughout this inquiry project, students made a connection between high, normal and low blood glucose levels and what is happening on a cellular level in a person's body. We used three diabetic emergency scenarios and linked them to the behavior of three different serums in class. Each of the serums represented high, low and normal blood glucose and we used dialysis tubing to represent the cells. Some of the "cells" gained mass while others lost mass. This allowed students to make a connection between the level of glucose in the blood and the symptoms diabetics experience.
In our final activity for our lesson, the students performed a calorimetry lab. Each group selected two foods to test by lighting the food on fire and measuring the temperature change of the water in a can above the burning food. We had a lot of success (fire) with Oreos and Fritos. Students also tested marshmallows, Lucky Charms, Ritz Crackers, Peanuts and Vanilla Wafers. I think some students were disgusted by the substances dripping from the burning Oreos. It certainly didn't look like something you would want in your body! Our lesson on food wraps up Monday with a quick quiz. The quiz will include information about testing food for macromolecules, food labels, biochemistry of food and energy content in food. Our next lesson will focus on what it is like to live with diabetes. I am excited to have one of my former students coming in to share his story with the class.
We are continuing our study of the chemistry of food in an effort to better understand how the body gets energy. Students were introduced to macromolecules by using molecular puzzle kits. I love these kits! Bond forming and bond breaking through dehydration synthesis and hydrolysis become so concrete with these puzzles.
This week students have learned about chemical indicators and how we can use them to identify substances. After learning the process necessary for each indicator to work properly, students worked in teams to develop a procedure to test 3 food samples and Anna's stomach contents for four different molecules: glucose, starch, protein and lipid.
Speaking of Anna, we examined a partial toxicology report and her food log. After testing her stomach contents, students have a pretty good idea what she ate the morning she died and are making connections between her diet and her medical history.
Students spent some time investigating exactly how insulin is related to the level of glucose in the blood. After finding three solid sources and taking some notes, they formed teams to design a model to demonstrate the connection between glucose and insulin. Students prepared a short informal presentation using their models to demonstrate the normal connection between insulin and glucose in a healthy individual and then manipulated their models to show what happens in Type 1 Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes. The models turned out pretty well this year. I had one group tackle a computer animation and another group create a 3D model. All of the models had moveable pieces and did a great job showing the mechanism that brings glucose into the cells.
I am so proud of my students for demonstrating their understanding of some tough concepts on the unit 1 test. The average grade on Monday's test was an 89%. Keep up the hard work!
Today we started Unit 2 which investigates diabetes. Anna seems like she might have this disease, so we will spend some time examining her medical history and learning more about diabetes. Today we worked on a lab to "Diagnose Diabetes" by completing a simulated Glucose Tolerance Test and Insulin Level Test for Anna and two other patients. Students also learned how to use Microsoft Excel to create a basic line graph to showcase their results. Tomorrow we will learn more about the two types of diabetes and the role insulin plays in blood glucose regulation.