So the last several weeks of the semester were hectic. Holiday events, finals for the students at their home high schools, the End of Course Assessment for PBS, crunch time for PBS -- and then we throw in an assortment of snow days. My students completed an infectious disease unit and a final project during this time. The final project was actually the result of one of my grad classes. Each student collaborated with a student from the other class (AM and PM) to create a study tool for their assigned lesson. Some of the tools were really good. I wish I could share them here, but the materials are copyrighted through PLTW. We also wrapped with our Anna case and figured out her cause of death. The EOC seemed to go well. We will not find out the official scores until February. I have a few pictures of our last days in PBS. Enjoy!
Unit 4 Test Results
I am so proud of my students. We have pushed hard to get through our curriculum this year and then we were faced with two snow days (some students actually have had 5 and have not returned yet!) less than two weeks prior to our EOC exam. They have not let the snow days get in the way at all. We have condensed and split up tasks and plowed ahead. Everyone had to take the Unit 4 - Heart Disease test after our snow enforced long weekend and they did great! I can honestly say that these are some of the hardest working students I have ever had the pleasure to teach. After all is said and done, they averaged an 88% on this test with no one scored below a C. Way to go and keep it up! EOC is one week away from today.
Ugly Sweater Holiday HOSA Event
We had a nice turnout for our Holiday Party last night. All HOSA programs were represented (PLTW Biomedical Sciences, Fire Science / EMT, Health Services / CNA). We all enjoyed some tasty holiday food and an "Elf Yourself" or two. My biological kiddos got to come to the party too and had a great time. My daughter participated in the gift exchange and was ecstatic about receiving a large amount of chocolate. It was great to just get together!
Students learned that Poor Anna also had a recent bacterial infection. Our lab work this week will seek to identify the unknown bacteria.Today we learned about aseptic technique and began the isolating bacteria lab. Students completed a bacterial transfer from broth and learned how to streak plates. We used a great simulation to practice virtually before doing the real thing. In total, we have four different bacteria samples incubating tonight. Three known and our one unknown from Anna. I'm hoping we see enough growth that we can completed the gross examination of the bacteria tomorrow.
On another note, we had a guest speaker today that shared information about part time (and some full time) summer jobs. Many of my students expressed interest and took applications, so I am hoping to see completed applications soon.
Today we started Unit 5 - Infectious Disease with an activity about tracing a disease back to patient zero. It was a nice, quick lab to get everyone up and moving around. The students enjoyed the lab and were able to trace their results back to the original person (or pair) without much of an issue. Everyone had a cup of water except one individual who had a weak base (which looks like water). They went around the room sharing their fluids and recording the person they worked with. Our AM class did the lab as written and we discovered that there was too much "sharing" of bodily fluids going on since the entire class got the "disease." So, we repeated the lab with one less swap and had great results. We used a chemical indicator to show which individuals were "sick" and who was "healthy." Great start to the last major unit!
Today students ran an EKG on themselves. We used this activity to introduce the electrical "wiring" of the heart. Students added this information to their heart boxes and learned the basics of an EKG. They used LoggerPro to analyze their own "waves" and went back to Anna's medical history to analyze her heart health.
Today students worked with blood pressure. They were introduced to the sphygmomanometer and stethoscope in order to practice taking blood pressure. The point was to expose the students to this skill, but not to necessarily master it. We moved on to using Blood Pressure probes with Logger Pro to utilize our technology to quickly and accurately find blood pressure. Students spent time reworking their previous experiments in order to test blood pressure. This time around we emphasized the experimental design process.